The objectives of IHS are theory- and application-oriented towards core areas:
- Positioning and sustainable anchoring of Heritage Studies in scientific discourse.
- Identification and inclusion of key issues such as heritage protection and use, taking into account global developments such as climate and demographic change, migration or technological development etc. in Heritage Studies.
- Concept development for diverse demands articulated in UNESCO conventions such as empowerment, sustainability, participation, communication or capacity building.
- Expansion of the network of Heritage Studies with partner institutions worldwide to promote young international scholars in Heritage Studies.
- Development of concepts and relevant applications of Heritage Studies for general and institutional training programs as well as for advanced and continued capacity building of heritage experts.
- Development of curricula to implement Articles 27 and 28 of the World Heritage Convention, Articles 14 and 15 of the Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage as well as the objectives of the MoW Programme.