The objectives of IHS are theory- and application-oriented towards core areas:
- Positioning and sustainable anchoring of Heritage Studies in scientific discourse.
- Identification and inclusion of key issues such as heritage protection and use, taking into account global developments such as climate and demographic change, migration or technological development in Heritage Studies.
- Concept development for diverse demands articulated in UNESCO conventions such as empowerment, sustainability, participation, communication or capacity building.
- Expansion of the network of Heritage Studies with partner institutions worldwide to promote young international scholars in Heritage Studies.
- Development of concepts and relevant applications of Heritage Studies for general and institutional training programs as well as for advanced and continued capacity building of heritage experts.